Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Action Research Progress Report

     My action research plan is well under way.  I have analyzed and interpreted STAAR assessment data and I have identified smart goals that will be targeted for small group instruction.  Since I am the only 5th grade math teacher on my campus I have been participating in vertical team planning to develop small group activities for the targeted TEKS.  I have also reached out to the grade level science teacher as well as math teachers who teach other grade levels  to see if they would be willing to integrate small group math instruction.  Initially, I had anticipated that I would be working with a team of math teachers that would assist in developing small group math instruction However; I am the only teacher utilizing small group instruction.  As I teach small group expectations to the students I will then be able to identify any successes or problems with the small group instruction.  I have already encountered a problem in keeping the students that I am not meeting with on task.  I have given my students their first six weeks assessment and the data was not promising.  I was able to identify some additional TEKS that I can target in upcoming small group lessons.  I believe that as the students become more accustom to the routine then I will begin to see improvement in each of the students’ academic performance.   Likewise, I plan on interviewing students, parents and teachers to see how they perceive small group instruction and if they feel it is making an impact on increasing student academic performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment